Friday 25 November 2011

Be the Wind-Paint: Reflections on Year-ends

Flowing from one box to another
Life pigeon-holed into tight boxes
Neatly labelled day, month and year
Defining mornings and noontimes
And telling you when to go to bed

As I flow out from one year-box into another
You tell me, it’s an occasion for celebration
Look back at the number of boxes you have filled, you say
With memories both great and small
Look how you have crossed much harm’s way
And painted life red, purple and blue

And yet all I feel is old

A new box has many adventures, you say
New paths, new space, new time
Life in your hands
And the sky your limit, you exclaim

But you forget, it’s into another box I flow
It’s not just me filling the box
It’s the box filling me out
The box squeezes me in, its walls cramping
Rubs the colour off me onto herself
She defines what I do and even how I look
When tired of me, she pushes me out
And December comes a ringing

Yea, you go celebrate
Sure do ring those nice bells and don’t forget your prayers
You should be happy that you have filled this box
And ready to climb into another
Beginnings and ends are sure reasons for celebration
So you go ahead and put on that dress

But I am going to wait a bit longer
Have a drink on you
And wonder how I can get rid
Of this damn box staring at you
Burn its walls down
Blaze them all out
Push it forward
Create a domino effect
Destroy all boxes with one big push
Then none to fill
Into none to flow

And then think about how I can be the wind
That can just be
Always flowing 
And yet needless to flow
And when I do flow, no one needs know
No box to constrain, no walls to cramp
The sky the canvas and me the wind-paint

No comments:

Post a Comment