Sunday 20 May 2012

My Mother's Son


I have never seen her
Although her eyes I have, they say
Her voice too I have never heard
But I was told, she sang like a bird
I was told she was very beautiful
Her skin soft as snow
Her form that graced a thousand stars
Defined beauty for us, you know

She had to leave however, one night
They came and took her away
In the middle of the night
They packed her out
Left my father in a pool of tears
And while she grabbed my brother
I was left behind

I haven’t seen them for twenty-five years
My father long passed by
Neither did he ever again
See his other son and wife
We got her regular letters for sure
And growing pictures of my brother
But of her face we never got to see
Not in a postcard nor a picture

I grew up in Damascus
The oldest city that ever was
As Syrian as one could get
Yet I was both Muslim and Christian
Speaking Arabic, French and English
Never crossed the Mediterranean Sea
Nor into the Iraqi desert
Lebanon kept me hemmed in
While Israel watched my borders

A true Arab I told myself
I was born to live and lead
To help my people live in the desert
And not necessarily to cross over
In the land of my ancestors
We loved our music and our women
We are an old people, you know
So a lot to learn, in order to live
Even if we are stubborn

And then my brother did come to visit
But not alone did he come
He came with schools, cars and education
Lack of knowledge, he said, was our sin
I showed him our ancient cuneiform
And treasures rivalling the very best of old Egypt
The land that groomed Cicero’s teacher
And the writings out of Apamea

He persisted that we need to be civilized
With genuine concern and a dismissive hand
With our protests, came out his planes and guns
The warning was clear and loud
You better heed, it’s only for your good

Then one day he came to visit me
To my village, and to my home
I made a feast to welcome him
And invited the village in
With their Dabkeh they greeted him
And their sword dances sought to woo
The food was spread with splendour
The houses adorned with lights
It was magical yet not mystical
As real as any summer evening can be
My neighbours showered their love
Total strangers hugged and kissed him
They made him feel so much at home
He forgot he was the other
He began to move and shake his leg
And forgot he was near Aleppo

I took a step backwards
Away from the dancing crowd
To watch my mother’s son dance
His movements not dissimilar to mine
Although it’s been twenty and five long years
I was seeing him for the first time

He was not so other
In spite of all the difference
Our views of our worlds in which we live
And the stories we tell each other
May seem as far as east is from the west
But in our bodies, and in our movements
In our quests for life, in our very existence
We had a lot more in common

I took his hand, drew him from the dance
We walked into the setting sun
Without a word on our lips
Twin brothers were we
Our beloved mother’s womb we had shared
Under our father’s watchful eyes
We had entered this world together

The time to speak has at last come
To open our mouths in utterance
The power lay in the language we use
As we seek to understand the other
To kill or to live and to let live
The pen is mightier than the sword, it’s said
And words more mightier than the pen
All we have are our words
Words that conjure up our realities
Words that create meaning
The very worlds in which we live
And so we hope and desperately hope
That the words of our mouth
Would become a home
And that we will live together
For better or worse
For richer for poorer
In sickness and in health
To love and to cherish
Brothers, sons of the same mother

Brainerd Prince
20 May 2012, Oxford

4 comments:

  1. wow!! this is beautiful. what inspired this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zoe :) Glad you like it. Well, the primary inspiration was the movie 'The Visitor' (2008) which I watched last night. I had mixed feelings towards it. There were several aspects of it that I admired greatly and other structural assumptions within which the movie was produced that evoked equally strong critique. However, I must say, it affected me deeply and I responded to it by writing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, Brain. Well written. I am inspired to watch the movie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, Brain. I thought it was your story. If you didn't explain the movie I'd be like 'He only met his brother recently???!!!!'

    ReplyDelete