Monday 12 December 2011

Strange Bedfellows OR Strangers in Bed

Hey, would you care to listen?
Whether we have known each other
For a day or a myriad of years
Whether we be strangers in love
Or eternal bedfellows
Whether every sight of the other
Tingle excitement
Or mundane ordinariness rule the day
Will you not reach out to squeeze my hand?

Each time I share excitedly the treasures of my findings
Even if words obscure and full of falter?
Will you not lend me your hearing ear?
Will your eyes not glisten with my stories?
Will you not reach to wipe the tears I shed?
And hold me tight each time I shudder?
Or smile knowingly even as I make faces?

It’s my pain that I share
Shattered visages of my ancestors
I am but my past
And it is my past that has been defied
Shrouded with the blackness of a full moon sky
Soiled in the trenches of London
Trampled by her majesty’s horses
In tatters I find my Self
Broken, squashed, darkened
My Self, the memory of my history
Can I dare to dream?
Of rewriting histories?
Of mending memories?
Of reconstructing my Self?

But how should it begin?
Where should it start?
If it’s my present that frames my past
Then won’t it begin with you and I?
I hold on as you brace me up
We tell stories, create memories
Talk into the night about the distant lands
About ancient cities, roaring warlords
The rich and the poor
The prince and the maiden
Of children crawling up to their fathers
Of babes clinging to their mothers
Suckling calves in the yonder farms
Stories of love, anger, pain
Tragedies of life

As we talk, laugh and wipe the silent tear
Memories refreshed, the Self strengthened
Then the lamb will lie with the lion
You and me, together, forever

2 comments:

  1. Brainerd,
    I really loved this poem.The third verse reflects how I feel as a soon to be graduate who's confused about her future :)
    Hope you are doing well,
    Achu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Achu :)

    I am glad you like this poem. Awesome to hear that you are graduating soon. Do write to me about what you are presently doing and also your plans for the next step. Also if you would like, also about the 'confusions':) You can send it as a msg on facebook. Take care and you are at a very exciting intersection.

    ReplyDelete