Friday 7 October 2011

Two Bags and a Rucksack

On a journey am I
From dawn to dusk
And yet again to dawn
Walking, trudging, moving all the time
Climbing over mountains, wading across rivers
Skipping through meadows, rolling down grass-hills
Through the forests, or in the city bright
I am always on this voyage
This life-expedition
With Two bags and a rucksack
My constant companions

The bag on the right contains my life
Some call it soul while others spirit
Pneuma, Geist, Chi or Brahman
It is you, me and the entire universe
From my bag, working in me
Energizing, expressing, living

The bag on the left contains my memories
Stories of all my journeys
Beautiful people I have met
Places I have been, the love I have shared
The kindness I have received
It is the many tales of the journey
The story of the spirit
Mine, yours, the chronicle of the universe

Drag I these bags with their precious treasures
I keep plodding from one morning to another

The rucksack on my back
Contains my earthly belongings
The things I call mine
House deeds, jewellery, travellers cheques
Money in many currencies, land and gold
All my possessions, in the rucksack, on my back 

Sometimes the bags get heavy
And my back gets bent
The memories turn horrid
The spirit cold and low
And the journey becomes a drag

But then the spirit rises again
Swells up with life and light
With the rising sun
Am game to give up all my possessions
My gold and my diamonds
The rucksack will I forsake
To beautiful memories more make
Memories are the history of the spirit
When all is gone, I am but my memory

No comments:

Post a Comment